Search This Blog

Wednesday 14 December 2011

Goals

Now that you have asked yourself (and answered honestly I hope) the questions in the previous post, it is time to talk about goal-setting. In order to have a feeling of accomplishment and success, you must set some goals. If you do not give yourself anything to aim for then the effort will seem futile.

There are two types of goals - short-term and long-term. Short-term are the goals you set for the day, week or even month. Long-term goals are set for months, even years down the road. It is a good idea to write these down where you can refer to them often; and cross them off as you achieve them. Remember, they are guidelines that may be changed if your situation changes.

Some examples of short-term goals would be:

  • write an article each day for a week
  • submit an article a day to sites such as EzineArticles
  • start a blog (which is exactly what I have done here) to share your experiences as a writer
  • earn your first $20.00
Some examples of long-term goals would be:
  • complete a writing course
  • earn your first $1000.00
  • write an e-book and publish it
  • earn passive income from your work
Keep your goals in mind as you write and learn. Refer to them often and you will achieve success quicker. As you complete your goals, add new ones. Reach for bigger and better things! Keep in mind bigger and better doesn't necessarily mean material possessions: traveling or saving for your child's education could be long-term goals, but are not material in any way.

The goals I have listed are only the tip of the iceberg, so to speak. There is no limit to what you can achieve, and no right or wrong goals to set. I am setting my own very short-term goal tonight, and that is to finish this post and go to bed. 

Note: Do not be surprised at the times these posts are done; I write at all hours of the night or day. When I have a thought I like to go with it, as I have had great ideas when I've gone to bed but forgotten by morning. I know I should have written them down, but didn't want to disturb my partner's sleep by turning on a light. It is times like those when a smartphone would be a very good thing to have. By the way, that is on my list of goals.

Have a great night/day!

Diane

No comments:

Post a Comment