Search This Blog

Thursday 19 January 2012

Why Do You Want to be a Writer?

As I advance further in my writing career I find myself coming up with ideas for informational products I never would have dreamed of even 5 years ago. Writing has opened up a whole new world of opportunity for me. I now can put my thoughts on paper and everything I write has the potential to earn money.

For those of you who are just starting out it is important to know why you want to be a writer. Do you want to see your name in print when you visit bookstores across the country? Do you have a story to share with the world? Are you someone who has a lot to say, but want to stay out of the limelight? Everyone has their reasons; what's yours?

There are many different roads a writer can take. Some prefer the route of copywriter and some want to take on bigger challenges, like plunging straight into a novel. That is not to say copywriting isn't challenging; it most certainly is. A copywriter has to write in such a way they could "sell ice to the Eskimos". A successful copywriter can easily make a six-figure income, but there is a lot of hard work that goes into it.

Personally, my goal as a writer is to publish literature that helps others in some way. Sharing my experiences as a writer and a homemaker is helping me fulfill what was once only a dream. Many years ago I told my husband (ex-husband now) I wanted to write a book so I could make a difference in people's lives. He was less than supportive. My partner now is very supportive of my writing as are my children. It is a good feeling to have the support of loved ones.

It is important to have a support team, whether it is immediate family or friends. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have family members on their side, and that is too bad. Even if you do not have the support of immediate family or friends, find it through friends on social media such as Facebook or LinkedIn. As you earn money through your ventures you may begin to see more immediate support. Many people think the writer has an easy job; that is not the case. It takes a lot of diligence and hard work to become a writer; don't give up your dreams just because a few people think you are wasting your time. You will have the last laugh when you are earning a five or six-figure income from your venue.

Stay focused and if you need any additional support, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Have a great day!

Diane

No comments:

Post a Comment